Very much work in progress, so I won’t bother typing many notes!
Well, I’m now very happy. This has been giving me a headache since i started working on it! Joy.
So the next job is getting some terrain on the planet.
So, after spending nearly all last night working on this, I’ve nearly got a nice HexPlanet. I’m just wating a nice set of textured hexagons, and I can then tear my hair out trying to get them lined up and tiling properly.
A huge list of improvements. I won’t list them all. But here are some notable things that we’ve done:
- Chits now spawn in correct place (thanks HumOfEvil)
- Version 2.0 of our camera script (thanks The Harlander).
- The Necromancer now has his tower.
- Units can be built and move.
- More terrain types.
Ok, I’ve made some pretty good progress over the last few days, including a couple of things which I stuggled with more than I expected. Firstly, the sea is now flat, and I think I can call v1 of my planetgen script done (otherwise, I’ll play with it for ages and avoid some other irksome tasks). I’m still toying with the idea of using hex tiles. Can’t quite decide it will be worth the headache.
Also, the camera now centres on your currently active city. And it should work with character chits too. but I haven’t tested that yet. Sadly, this progress is slightly undone by the fact that my new chit models are spawning in outerspace, so I guess that’s next on my todo list.
Oh, and the UI background panels now change colour to match the currently active faction, which I think is a useful touch. I can worry about making it more visually attractive at a later d
So, while progress has been slow, there has at least been progress. Save/load is coming along nicely. Earlier today I spent a while trying to write a function to centre the camera on the currently active character/city, but I can’t get this working reliably. Guess I need to do the trig by hand, and work out what coordinate axis I’m using etc.
To cheer myself up, I’d work on the landscaping function a little.
notes for next time:
- flatten out the sea
- stretch out the mountain
- swear about the new bug that is cropping out with tile IDs.
Ok, just a quick update… as there’s not a huge amount to show. Turns out the reason so many games have crap camera controls is because camera controls are quite hard to program. Especially when your camera is orbiting a world. Anyway, I’ve got that working now…. the camera rotates around the globe when you move the mouse to the edge of the screen. And you can zoom and an out. It’s not perfect, but it’s not any worse than some efforts I’ve seen in commercial games.
I’ve also started work towards implementing the ability to have more than 1 faction. Hopefully it won’t be too long til I have an incredibly simple, but playable exe 🙂